Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Se7en Trials of Apollo

1. RA

2.
a.
Baldur, Wooden, Freya
b. Frigg mother of Baldur
c.
Frigg is all torn up because her favorite and beautiful son Baldur, was killed by her useless and blind son Hoder. As if this wasn't bad enough, she saw it coming in her nightmares, and even took steps to prevent it from happening. Frigg makes Baldur invulnurable to all the common weapons, but she leaves out mistletoe and Loki tricks Hoder into killing Baldur with it.  Don't tell me you wouldn't be going crazy if you had nightmares about losing your son, then your less-liked son screws up and kills him anyway.

3.
A&B.
9 Daughters of Zues.
Calliope Muse of Epic Song - Wax Tablet
Clio: Muse of HIstory - Scroll
Euterpe: Muse of Song lyric - Double Flute
Melpomene: tragedy - Tragic Mask
Terpsichore: Muse of Dance - Lyre
Erateo: Muse of Erotic Poetry
Polyhymnia: Sacred Song - Veiled
Urania: Astronomy - Celestial Globe
Thalia: Comedy bucolic Poetry - Comic mask, shepherds staph, wreath,
C.

This photo shows 9 descendants of the 9 daughters of Zeus celebrating their reunion at a halloween party on UVM campus.
LR: Thalia (Red Wreath, Shepherd) Clio (Blue scarf mocking Thalia [muse of history]), Urania (Star Crown [Astronomy]), Euterpe (red shirt [lyrical song]), Terpsichore (Girl desperately trying to get her head in the picture[muse of dance]), Melpomene (skeleton [tragedy]), Erato  (Cat [erotic poetry]), Polyhymnia (Man singing a [sacred song] with a toast, veiled in feathers), Calliope (Girl bellowing an [epic song] with mouth agape).

D.Hymn to Urania
Twinkle twinkle shining star
How I've admired you from afar
Born of Zeus, God of might
Tis no surprise you bear such light
For you, any man I would fight
When I lay eyes on you, courage emerges from fright
However, despite how your shine is quite bright
You are not the brightest star in the night
It would be you I would forever follow
But you could never outshine the almighty Apollo

4.
A.

I, Crow, devoted servant of Apollo, came to Roanoke Colony in 1587 to protect the Europeans against the threat of the Native American Croatoan Indians.  Apollo entrusted me to keep a watchful eye on the Europeans and report to him if there was any trouble.  When I arrived, I saw the European settlers trading sea shells for bear skins and corn.  However, the Native Americans were laughing as they walked away because the corn was stale.  I did not like this, the Europeans were having a hard enough time in this new space. However, around noon, from the North I saw a man with the head of a moose and the wings of an eagle approaching with a cold chill, he bellowed from the nearest peak “I am Bmola, I have traveled afar to test the white man who set foot on our virgin territory.”  Naturally, I knew that I was not the bird for this job, and I called up the big boss, Apollo, and told him he better come down to Earth and address the problem.  Just then, Apollo appeared on earth riding the wave of a solar flare, startled and partially blinded Bmola attacked the one I serve.  Apollo was fearless in his fight damaging Bmola with blow after blow with his bow and arrow.  The battle raged on for hours until the sun began to set in the West, just as the sun was about to vanish over the horizon, Apollo struck Bmola in the antler with a mighty blow, breaking off 3 points of Bmola’s mighty rack.  As the sun set, Apollo vanished, in his embarrassed rage, Bmola killed all the European settlers of the Roanoke Colony.
B. 
After he was finished with the settlers, Bmola turned his attention to myself, Crow, the loyal servant of the Apollo who maimed Bmola forever.  Although Apollo was unable to appear on Earth, his power from the heavens was still mighty.  To protect me, he turned the light off from all the stars in the universe, and the world went completely dark.  it was at this point that I lost my journal and the record of the Roanoke colony was lost from history.  The Roanoke colony remains one of the great mysteries of history, unfortunately without the journal, no first hand evidence exists about the fate of the colonists at the hands of Bmola.  
5.
As the former god of wine, parties, ecstasy, and a student at the University of Vermont, I’ve been known to neglect my academics for extracurricular activities - many of them irresponsible.  My first semester at UVM was filled with enough smoke to make Wiz Khalifa turn his head and enough liquor to make Winston Churchill seem like he had his finger on his drinking problem.  It was right about this time of year last year when within a week I received news that I was failing four out of five of my classes.  Needless to say, Dionysus had dug himself into a hole that seemed insurmountable.  With only finals remaining, I went into Thanksgiving break a defeated god.  The week with my family and friends from back home gave me a chance to collect myself, but I still needed more strength. On the last night of Thanksgiving, I felt great. I was well-rested, I had eaten some fantastic home cooked meals, and I had seen my good friends that remind me that school isn’t the only thing in life that is important.  However, I still lacked the necessary confidence that would motivate me to get my act together and would motivate me to put in the effort to earn better grades.  I feared that if I didn’t do a 180 degree turn away from partying and towards academics, my parents would force me to withdraw from the school that I loved.  Just when I thought all hope was gone, Apollo appeared to me to show me the light.  Apollo took my hand and pulled me into a light tunnel, where he showed me that if I truly tuned out all distractions, if I stopped smoking weed and drinking for the three weeks of finals, and made a concerted effort in all my classes, I could earn decent marks in my classes.  

After Apollo showed me the light, I arrived at UVM that Monday and hit the ground running.  I barricaded myself in the study room and did not come up for air except to go to classes, review sessions, and (rarely) for food.  My friends missed me, but I was clear with them. If they were truly my friends and wanted to spend the next four years with me, it was necessary for me to devote myself to studying for this three week period - they understood.  It cost me three weeks of fun, 8 packs of cigarettes, a loss of 10 pounds, and more throbbing headaches than I care to remember, but I got the marks that I wanted.  I finished the semester with 2 B’s, 2 B-’s and a C-.  My parents were proud of my efforts to pull my grades up, but most importantly, I was proud of myself.  It was the first time in my life I had fully invested myself in anything without holding back in the least.  Without Apollo to show me the light none of this would have been possible. However, the lesson of this story doesn’t end with a last ditch effort to save  my enrollment at UVM, once I knew what I was capable of achieving when I didn’t hold back, I set the bar higher for myself the next semester.  By focussing on my school and enjoying substances when the work was done, I made Deans List second semester.  The moral of the story is, sometimes when our backs are against the wall, we feel hopeless and lost.  Sometimes these feelings alone can stop us from achieving what we are capable of.  If any one of you find yourself in a similar situation this semester, my advice to you is this: Relax over the break, give thanks for those you love and tell them how much they mean to you, let them lean on you while you lean on them in return.  And finally, above all other things, pray Apollo to show you the light, because in the darkest places even the smallest ray of light can give you the hope you need to succeed.  

6.
a) Herne was walking around in his oak grove looking for an animal to hunt, but he saw a blindingly beautiful woman bathing naked.  If she dared to bathe naked on his land that he considered her to be fair game.  So he made a pass at her.  The land was his, he believed that everything on it was his for the taking.
b) The “other” beautiful bathing babe, is none other than Apollo’s Twin Sister Artemis the Goddess of Wilderness and Fertility.
`c) When Artemis felt threatened, she turned Herne into a stag and set the dogs on him to chase him away. 




7.
The top of Williams Fire Escape.  As the God of light, Apollo only has time to grace UVM's campus with his full presence once a day. This is the highest place on campus, and certainly the best view.  Apollo comes to the fire escape in his green and gold Vermont sweatshirt to watch his mastery in action every evening at dusk when the sun sets over the mountains and Lake Champlain. At this time, as the god of foresight, Apollo sees into the future and creates an image of the next sunset which will grace the eyes of mortals the next day.


How the trials took place:
The almighty Apollo is a god who desires collaboration with his constituents.  For this project, Apollo did the legwork for the research and got to the bottom of most of the clues. He also compiled the information and gave it to me (his avatar) when we met.  With most of the legwork done, he gave the floor to me to bounce ideas off of him, as he did the same, finally we had a rough draft of the project done.  As a devoted servant to my god, I was more than willing to finalize the information, as he was the one who did most of the preliminary work.  Apollo does a fantastic job as a deity because he provides the mortals with the divine inspiration without forcing the hand of constituents.  A firm believer in free-will Apollo simply gives mortals and avatars his guidance and allows them to sink or swim with it.  However, he recognizes that mortals are flawed and is more than willing to answer prayers of those who have strayed from the path of light.  For example, last night I needed some guidance about trial number five and he provided some insight via text message - his response was prompt (as expected).  If you want a god who will give you the information you need to succeed, but leave you to your own devices and allow you to do what you will with that information, Apollo is the deity for you.

Shine on Apollo god of light!


No comments:

Post a Comment