Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kali's Story


To best display my powers I will tell you a story:

"I assumed form on Earth in order to vanquish the demon Raktabija, whose name means "the seed of blood", who was harming my children.  The other gods could not kill the demon Raktabija because every drop of his blood that touched the ground transformed itself into another and more powerful Raktabija. Within a few minutes of striking this demon the entire battlefield was covered with millions of Raktabija clones. In despair, the other gods turned to Shiva. But Shiva was lost in meditation at the time and the gods were afraid to disturb him. Hence they pleaded with me for assistance.

I immediately set out to do battle with this dreaded demon.  They say my eyes were red, my complexion was dark, my features gaunt, my hair unbound, and my teeth sharp like fangs. I rode onto the battleground on my tiger, holding weapons in all of my eight arms, Raktabija experienced fear for the first time in his demonic heart. As the gods rallied around me, I lead the attack on Raktabija. I then spread my tongue to cover the battlefield preventing even a single drop of Raktabija's blood from falling on the group. Thus, I prevented Raktabija from reproducing himself and the gods were able to slay the demon.

Drunk on Raktabija's blood, I ran across the cosmos killing anyone who posed a threat to my children. I adorned herself with the heads, limbs and entrails of my demon victums, to let all know of my protection of my children. I could not stop to madness until Shiva threw himself under my feet. I calmed down, embraced my husband, and shed my ferocious form to became Gauri, "the Fair one".  But at any time when I feel my children are threatened, I can ince again assume my dark form to protect them."

As you can see this story of the past displays my greatest strengths.  I was the only god able to protect my children.  For this protection, they will do anything for me.  Yes, my weakness may be displayed here as well but I have learned my lesson.  I still wear my necklace of heads to remind myself of the destruction I once caused.  Never again will I let this happen.  All I do I do for my children; no where will you find so fierce a protector.


No comments:

Post a Comment